Solicitor messed up my divorce

My solicitor messed up my divorce. Can I claim compensation?

We are regularly contacted by people complaining, “my solicitor messed up my divorce.” If you are in that position and would like to know where you stand then contact us for a free case assessment and details of no win, no fee funding.

Divorce is never a pleasant experience, so when it goes wrong the effect can be devastating. 

As with most legal disputes, an element of compromise on both sides is needed in order to reach a settlement. This means that people rarely walk away from a divorce feeling 100% satisfied. However, while that sense of dissatisfaction is in most cases an unavoidable consequence of the divorce process, occasionally the outcome is made worse by the actions of a solicitor.

What can go wrong during the divorce process?

There is much that can go wrong during a divorce which can in turn lead to significant financial loss being suffered. Examples include:

  • Under-settling the financial claim;
  • Failing to identify a matrimonial asset;
  • Failing to prevent dissipation of matrimonial assets;
  • Incorrect valuation of assets, especially property and pensions;
  • Failing to comply with a Court order leading to all or part of a claim being struck out;
  • Incorrectly drafting any settlement agreements or court orders; and
  • Failing to implement a Court Order.

Can I sue the solicitor who messed up my divorce?

If your solicitor (or barrister) messed up and caused you financial loss, then yes, you may be able to bring a compensation claim on the basis of negligence. 

But bear in mind that simply because you did not receive all that you had hoped for, it does not necessarily mean that your legal team were negligent.  You will have to prove that they acted in a way that no reasonably competent solicitor or barrister (with similar qualifications and experience) would have done. Furthermore, you have to show that your losses stem from that negligence and not from any other causes.

How we can help

If you are thinking of making a compensation claim against the solicitor who messed up your divorce and you have suffered loss exceeding £10,000 then you can contact us for a free initial discussion. We will look at what you think the solicitor got wrong and the loss you have suffered as a result. If there are grounds for a claim then we will be happy to consider working on a no-win no fee basis.

Call us on 0333 888 0403 or email [email protected] for a free initial assessment of your case.


Leave a Reply

Chat To Us

Speak to us now, click the chat icon in the bottom right corner.

Call Us Free

For free advice call us now on FREEPHONE
0333 888 0403

Request Callback

Click here to submit a form to request a Free Callback now.

This website www.proneg.co.uk has been in operation for more than 20 years, making it one of the longest established professional negligence resources available on the internet.

It is run by Slee Blackwell Solicitors LLP, an award-winning firm of solicitors specialising in professional negligence law. We have been awarded Lexcel accreditation by The Law Society for excellence in client care and the firm is included in the independent guide to the legal profession, The Legal 500.

We exclusively represent claimants and provide a nationwide service throughout England and Wales. We are usually able to offer No Win, No Fee funding where the prospects of success are good, and the value of the compensation claim exceeds £25,000.

A member of our specialist team will be happy to provide you with a free assessment of your case. Simply contact us by phone or email.

Call Free - 0333 888 0403


Unfortunately, we are no longer able to offer No Win, No Fee funding for claims valued below £25,000. However, we can assist with these claims if you have legal expenses insurance and or would like to set an initial fee limit on a privately funded basis.